Sunday, July 19, 2009

It's Never Too Hot for a Cardigan


A few weeks ago, I was "jogging" with a "friend" of mine. I put the word friend in quotations because as you shall soon see, this "friend" stabbed me in the back, so to speak. I also put the word jogging in quotations because I hate jogging more than almost anything else in the world - which means she jogs while I walk fast. Anyway, I was telling her about how I was trying to recreate my wardrobe and get a slightly new style. I mostly meant this in terms of how I was trying to buy shirts that were more loose so that people wouldn't notice how alarmingly fat my stomach has become. Well this person responded to this talk about my wanting a new style by saying the following (and I am quoting this verbatim): "Do you want my honest opinion?" (this is when I started to get scared) - to which I replied "...uh....yes......" (still so scared about what she was going to say to insult me and my clothes). Then she said "I think that if you want to get a new style, then your CARDIGANS HAVE GOT TO GO."

As the world started crashing around me and as I was pulling the red hot knife of betrayal out of my back, I said "How dare you?!!!" And then I punched her in the face and RAN off. No jogging. No walking fast. Just Jackie Joyner Kersee style running. I laughed as she ate my dust.

So that's not what I really did, but it's what I wanted to do. But being the non-confrontational type, I instead stood there with my mouth agape trying to understand what I had done to deserve such venomous protests against my numerous cardigans.

Needless to say, the past few weeks have been rough on me. Every morning I wake up and reach for one of my cardigans and I become embarrassed thinking that people out there are judging my cardigans and wondering why I wear them so much. Well, I'll tell you why:

1) Because I like to look like Meg Ryan in "You've Got Mail."

2) I think of them as great accessories.

3) I love to layer.

4) I always find cute inexpensive tank tops, and to avoid being immodest... I put a cardigan over them.

To sum it all up, I just love to wear cardigans. So sue me.

13 comments:

Krista said...

OHHHHHHH ASHHHHHHH!!!! Maybe this GREAT FRIEND of yours didn't mean it as RUDELY as you put it... I think I know this AMAZING person that gave you this advice... and I KNOW she loves cardigans... and I think she just meant maybe don't wear them EVERYDAY!! :) So with that said... sue me for giving you advice on how to spruce up your wardrobe and give yourself a "new" look! I guess I won't be honest anymore. I guess I need to be more like LIL!

Jessica P. said...

I love your cardigans! Don't change anything! :)

Tara said...

Cardigans ROCK!!!! You totally look like Meg Ryan on you've got mail. Keep up the good work, little lady! Keep it up.

Jade and Dot Nielson said...

I don't know you and I probably never will. I was doing a little "blog surfing" and came across your HILARIOUS post. For what its worth (and I'm assuming that's not much because I'm a stranger), If I could find an adorable cardi for every day of the week I would totally wear them that often. Who doesn't love Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail (and every other movie she ever made)? Just wanted to let you know you are supported in Taylorsville, UT. Have fun branching out!

Team Burtenshaw said...

Big Ash, you just bring a smile to my face! btw, the stomach, well let me just say that I wish mine was as f"l"at as yours. Love your guts!

Cheryl said...

Cardigans are fine Ashley... but it's 115 degrees out there today and because of that I'm sweating just thinking about a cardigan!!!! Oh... and what the heck are you talking about the big tummy thing... REALLY?

Randi said...

Cardigans rock and will always be in style. 'nuff said.

Brianne said...

Great post! I can always use a great laugh! I also HAVE to point out that this beautiful person who is giving you this advice is wearing a CARDIGAN in her picture that post w/ all her comments :) see look at the very top comment!! Now you can enjoy YOUR laugh!! Your great Ash!

Briannon said...

well, you should be thankful that this friend of yours didnt say, "all you need is a 'little' makeup..on american top model they have these ugly girls and they put just a 'little' makeup on them" oh wait that was a different great griend you have! lol

Anonymous said...

I love your cardigans!! They are very "Ashley." Target has some really cool colorful ones right now. I think you would like them:)And your wording turned out perfect. Your stories always make me smile.

Cindy said...

ha ha!! how did I know someone would say something about america's next top model!!! You rock Ashley!! Come play peanuts with us!! We love you cardigans and all!!

Shelly Rowlan said...

Asher. I gotta agree with Krista. THe Cardigans have to go. Please bring them straight over to my house. Bring them over. I especially want the white one and the navy blue one.

Karla said...

Well, I love cardigans, and you've got mail and the fall is just around the corner so cardigans are in more than ever. Wear them!