Monday, August 24, 2009

Boyfriends and Marriage


I have a very beautiful and inquisitive six year old nephew.  Lately, every time I see him he has taken up asking me the same question - a question that I hate almost more than anything else in the world. He looks me right in the eyes and says "Ashley, when are you gonna get a boyfriend?" To which I always reply "That is a good question. When I find the answer I will be sure to tell you." Well yesterday I was at my brother's house and my nephew decided to take his favorite question to the next level and ask me when I was going to get married. I said never. He told me that I HAD to get married. And so being the mature adult that I am, I said "Says who?!" He told me God said so. I had no response. I think my mouth opened, then closed, then opened again, and I couldn't think of a clever retort. I mean, how can I argue with that? So just in case that marriage never happens, I have at least done a bridal shoot in a vintage hippie wedding dress - and maybe I'll blow it up and frame it for my family so they can see what might have been....

10 comments:

Jessica P. said...

What a smart little nephew, I don't know how you could have argued with that one! So why was that picture ever taken, and where did you get that amazing dress??

Tara said...

Ash......you look, um, I'm sorry I'm trying not to cry........amazing. Ugh, I knew I'd do this......I'm sorry, I don't mean to get all sappy. I just have waited for the day when I could comb down my arm hairs and see you in a beautiful "vintage" wedding dress with bridesmaids dressed in pink tutus........I feel so fulfilled. Thank you.

Shelly Rowlan said...

Clever nephew. I think we should set him lose on some 25-30 year old single guys. What do you think?

Steve and Erin Larsen said...

He is pretty smart eh? :) Tara's comment cracked me up about combing down her arms hairs... because you so did that for her wedding! ha ha. Whoever sweeps you off your feet will be one lucky man, that's all I have to say! There would definitely never be a dull moment in your house!

Krista said...

TOTALLY UNDERSTAND THAT QUESTION!!! I get it from Gracie about EVERYDAY!! I try not to be alone with her... just so she won't ask it! Hahaha!! Gotta love nieces and nephews!!

Karla said...

Ashley could you please just post a story everyday for your little, well now big tummy friend, over here who needs a laugh now and then as she lays on her couch. You are so hilarious. I must say that I had my eye on a dress just like that one when I was 12 years old. My 12 years old self is envying you right now.He-he. Seriously you are so hilarious.

Fern said...

Well, at least you look amazing in your wedding dress and you did the typical duty of dressing your bridesmaids in those tacky dress. J/K haha!

Brianne said...

Oh Ash! Never a dull moment. Well what to say about the dress :) um...oh nevermind! I do agree with Shelly though we need to let your nephew loss on all those stupid boys out there who won't get off their butts!! Got to love little kids and their simplicity of life and God's plan :)

Cheryl said...

You should have put the link up that goes along with that dress... it really does add to the actual picture! I'll tell you what, there aren't very many guys out there worthy of you... don't give up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgZTekZKvsQ

Nevermind, I'll put the link up! =D

Marci and Stuart Taylor said...

HELLOOOOOO time for a new blog Ash!! come on now...